Tuesday 17 January 2012

Multiliteracies Assignment

This post is an assignment for my Pedagogy of Multiliteracies class, which is a supplemental English course at the Intermediate/Senior level. I feel that my survey is a mix between questions borrowed from my instructor's survey (Danika Barker) and ones I have come up with on my own. I intentionally made portions of my survey reflective in nature, hoping that students will look at their previous experience in the English classroom and work towards making a change. I also chose to refer to the class as "ours" quite often, with the hope of setting a specific tone right away: we are both experience this class for 75 minutes everyday, I want to enjoy it as much as you do, so what can we do to make it so? Given the fact that English is the only compulsory course throughout all four years of high school, you know right away that not everyone wants to be there. It's a fact that needs to be acknowledged. Therefore, with my survey, I would strive to begin the school year by learning about my students as individuals, with the hopes of reaching them as a student through the use of this information: guiding them to a successful school year.

4 comments:

  1. Great survey!
    I especially enjoyed the question which asked the students how the teacher could modify their least favourite subject/topic to make it more appealing to them. I think that will allow for some interesting comments.
    I also thought that providing the chance for the student to say which grade they would like to receive at the end of the course is a good strategy to help prefice a discussion of the amount of effort and work you expect to see throughout the year in order to receive a high grade level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "6) How could we modify your least favourite topic to make it more enjoyable?"

    What a great question! It pretty much gets to the heart of engaging a struggling student!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interest level question is a good idea, as is the question about how they felt about last year's class. You also took the question about learning style and gave them actual examples of how they learn (doing it themselves, etc.), which was great. You've given them a lot of space to discuss their own expectations of the course, starting the discussion between teacher and student right away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine, as Kim and Lisa both mentioned, the reflective questions are very interesting additions to the survey. I like the way you reinforce student agency in the class by making them think about how they could improve, and how *you* could help to make the class more enjoyable for them. The survey makes it clear that you expect to really have a dialogue with your students as you teach. I was interested by the "web seminar" in the question about learning preferences: is that something you hope to implement in your class, or is it more in reference to what students learn in their own time? It's a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete